The Uvas Creek levee system was authorized by the Flood Control Act of 1944, and the recreational trail use of the system’s flood control features was authorized by the Flood Control Act of 1962. The United States Army Corp of Engineers (USACE) constructed the Uvas Creek levee to provide flood protection to the City of Gilroy. In 1987, the Santa Clara Valley Water District (District) became the non-federal sponsor for the levee.
The District maintains responsible for the operation and maintenance of the levee year-round. During periodic inspections performed by the USACE, deficiencies were observed including a significant number of animal burrow and areas of vegetation (trees) in the levee. To address these maintenance and levee deficiencies the project included reconstruction along approximately 4,200 linear feet of the inboard side of the levee. Reconstruction of the of the levee consisted of excavation on the inboard side of the levee in horizontal benches and reusing the excavated soil supplemented by import soil to rebuild the levee in compacted layers. The inboard side of the levee was surfaced with 9-guage, 1-inch aperture chain link fabric mesh anchored on four sides of the levee at the top, bottom, and either side of the levee extent. Topsoil was then overlaid on the chain link fabric mesh and hydroseeded. Finally, the recreational trail was reconstructed for public use.
Client: Santa Clara Valley Water District
Location: Gilroy, CA